View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-09, 17:13

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Symptoms associated with taking too much Vitamin D

I've only recently learned on these forums that it's important to take magnesium along with high-dose Vitamin D; had I known this, I would never have experimented with high dose Vitamin D, as I have never been able to tolerate ANY supplement OR bath-soak containing ANY form of magnesium.

I had NO idea that a whole number of various symptoms that I and some members of my family have exhibited here & there, off and on, during the past five years when we starting supplementing with D3 could be due to having elevated levels of calcium - which is medically termed hypercalcemia.

Anyway, I'm starting exploring the symptoms of Vitamin D toxicity and also symtoms associated with hypercalcemia.

.....increased calcium levels may cause the following:

Nausea
Vomiting
Alterations of mental status
Abdominal or flank pain (The workup of patients with a new kidney stone occasionally reveals an elevated calcium level.)
Constipation
Lethargy
Depression
Weakness and vague muscle/joint aches
Polyuria
Headache

Severe elevations in calcium levels may cause coma.

......Hypercalcemia has few physical examination findings specific to its diagnosis.

Often it is the symptoms or signs of underlying malignancy that bring the patient with hypercalcemia to seek medical attention.

The primary malignancy may be suggested by lung findings, skin changes, lymphadenopathy, or liver or spleen enlargement.

Hypercalcemia can produce a number of nonspecific findings, as follows:

Hypertension and bradycardia may be noted in patients with hypercalcemia, but this is nonspecific.

Abdominal examination may suggest pancreatitis or the possibility of an ulcer.

Patients with long-standing elevation of serum calcium may have proximal muscle weakness that is more prominent in the lower extremities; they also may have bony tenderness to palpation.

Hyperreflexia and tongue fasciculations may be present.

Anorexia or nausea may occur.

Polyuria and dehydration are common.

Lethargy, stupor, or even coma may be observed.

......If hypercalcemia is caused by sarcoidosis, vitamin D intoxication, or hyperthyroidism, patients may have physical examination findings suggestive of those diseases.....

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...e=UTF-8&strip=1
Sponsored Links