#52   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-15, 18:51

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFreeMe
I've only read this far down, but THANK YOU JLx!
1. Ive had a complete hysterectomy on my doctors' advice. Best thing I ever did.
2. I was taken completely off-guard with a diagnosis of stage 4 Colon Cancer Feb 2013. There was no time to NOT take my doctors' advice and see if a VLC diet would help! I'm doing fine now, just nicely now getting back to work, and re-gaining my life!

I'm not sure I'll finish reading the next 3 or 4 pages.

Well, to be fair, I was reacting to the title of the board. The ensuing discussion is not to be feared.

I think most of us here, since we're already low carbing in some fashion, would continue to do so while undergoing treatment. I think there's enough evidence for it in terms of treating cancer to feel some degree of confidence that there would be no reason not to.

Whether it's appropriate for people who have no familiarity with low carb, however, is another story, imo. It's a daunting task to overhaul your diet, it requires motivation and belief, for one thing, which means there needs to be more and better evidence that oncologists can point to to justify the recommendation. I think we're a ways from that. Then there's the emotional state of people having to deal with the cancer reality, as you know. Two weeks of "low carb flu" on top of everything else? A hard sell, I suspect.

I was following Bernstein and trying very hard to eat salads which I have never liked, when I was diagnosed with cancer. As I was gagging on a salad one day, I thought if these are my last few weeks or months to live, I'm not going to do it gagging on my food! I loosened my lc rules a bit and felt better for it. Telling people they need to give up all or most of their usual comfort foods when they are feeling most in need of comfort, would be daunting.

When I had chemo, I was there for 6 hours and the first time I didn't bring anything to eat. "There's food in the breakroom", I was told. Well, not exactly "food". There were cookies, cake, doughnuts and grapejuice in the fridge! Ridiculous. I brought cheese sticks and low carb muffins after that. And I was the only one who kept awake.

I believe I saw something recently about having people fasting during chemotherapy. A step in the right direction.