View Single Post
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 16:49

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 255/230/215 Male 72
BF:
Progress:

I just finished 8 weeks of fasting taking my "baby steps" of fasting 3 times per week, doing between 15-18 hours of fasting. Yesterday I decided to try from (late) noon to (early) noon, about 22 hours. Big step for me. Now I'm turning to the next step from 3 times per week to alternating days, also turning toward 22-24 hour fasts.

I'm reading Dr. Fung's book, the Obesity Code, and I was taken back by the tone of his writing, almost with a "foreordained" or "predestined" outcome that diets don't work, then that exercise doesn't work. It seemed pretty much a foregone conclusion, very strongly stated, which is bothersome. I think his web site says as much, doesn't it? And he quotes lots of research on the matter.

His chapter on insulin resistance is helpful in seeing why this may be the case, that with increasing levels of insulin and with length of time, the insulin resistance makes everything more difficult, if not impossible.

But . . . I know lot of people years ago who did Bill Phillips' "Body for Life" and had total body transformations through his diet/exercise plan. Not AT ALL like the "Biggest Loser" analogy that is used that metabolism is destroyed. There are lot of folks in Beachbody claiming transformation through their diet plans/exercise plans. Then I know personally people who through Weight Watchers or even Dr. Joel Fuhrman's plant based system that have used only diet to make the transformations.

Dr. Fung's chapter explaining insulin's effects are pretty compelling. So, I'm thinking if that is correct, which I accept, then it seems to me that these other plans have to deal with the insulin effect too, and they do that through diet and exercise apparently. So, it seems to work for a lot of folks, especially if they are younger.

However, as I said at one time, these presuppositions I've had to lay aside because they have not worked for me. Dr. Fung pretty much hit the nail on the head for me, and I'm thinking maybe it is because I'm diabetic and older that I've had meager success through the years. Then again, I know lots of people who have lost tremendous weight only to gain it back (self included).

There is certainly a lot of obesity in the country, so whatever works I'm happy for those who have found it. I still have the presuppositions in my mind especially regarding exercise, but I lay it aside because it hasn't worked for me to overcome "Big D." So, for me, laying aside presuppositions I've come through several years to follow LCHF as a way to manage my diet, and exercise to burn the glucose out of my muscles and organs. Still wanting to overcome and reverse diabetes, rather than manage, I'm listening and following Dr. Fung advice.

Anyone else had presuppositions to have to lay aside?