#55   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 22:10

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
^ Does anyone know what the percentage of fat hamburger used to be before the government's low fat dogma took hold? You know, back in the old days...

I remember buying 30% fat ground beef back in the 70's. I don't know if there might have been even higher percentages of fat ground beef at some point, because I wasn't buying meat before that. That may have been about the time they actually started stating the fat content. Even so, that was obviously before the low fat propaganda really started in earnest, since it referred only to the fat content of the ground beef, as opposed to how they refer to the lean content now.

There still must have been some public awareness that ground beef from different cuts of meat had different fat percentages, because I remember seeing ground chuck, ground round, and ground sirloin in the stores during that era too. Even though those designations only referred to the cut of beef being used in that package of ground beef, you could still see a definite difference between the 3 cuts in fat content.

I clearly remember seeing ground beef in the 70's that was mixed with soy protein too. That was the cheapest version - With good reason of course, but it was the ground beef of choice for broke college students. I don't recall the package saying how much soy protein was in it, but the color of the mixture was sort of pinkish, because it was not only higher in fat, but then with the soy blended into it, that made the whole thing lighter in color than the 30% fat ground beef.