#54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 21:41

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Last week was my DiL's birthday and we got takeout from The Longhorn Steakhouse. I got the 6-oz sirloin steak with my two sides as a garden salad with blue cheese dressing, and the roasted brussels sprouts. They sounded like decent LC choices, except the brussels sprouts were so SWEET. They tasted like vegetable candy. My 10-year-old grandson had gotten the brussels sprouts too and shoved them aside, saying "these are too sweet. I can't eat them."

Well today I finally looked up their nutrition data online, and it said the brussels sprouts have 27g of carbs, which includes 17g of sugar. Yikes, no wonder they tasted sweet, Why ruin perfectly good veggies like that?

It's like Dunkin Donuts which now offers bacon as a side you can order, which sounds great too, until you find out they coat the bacon strips in brown sugar.

This happened at least 10 years ago, but I had a similar experience with a chain steak house. I can't remember which one it was, but it might have been Longhorn too.

At any rate, I'd ordered a steak and broccoli. The broccoli florets tasted like they had been soaked in sugar. Yuck.

Since that happened so long ago, they've probably increased the amount of sugar they add to cruciferous veggies since then. I know a lot of people consider the cruciferous veggies to be too bitter to eat, and for that type of person being able to order "healthy" veggies that taste sweet rather than bitter is probably a big reason they eat there. Not me though - I haven't been back since.

We'd ordered take out from Texas Roadhouse recently, and I ordered the broccoli on the side. I was afraid that it would be sweetened, but luckily it didn't taste noticeably sweet to me - just tasted like it had some butter on it.