Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 02:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

And the saga continues ...

Quote:
Carnivores took over at animal charity, sacked vegan claims

The League Against Cruel Sports was taken over by meat-eaters who stopped providing plant-based meals and condemned pro-vegan messaging on clothing, a tribunal has been told.

The anti-hunting charity began discriminating against ethical vegans at the same time as bosses who refused to eat meat were replaced by omnivores, a sacked worker has claimed.

The campaigning group’s lawyer in turn accused the claimant of prejudice against people who eat meat.

Jordi Casamitjana, 55, is bringing Britain’s first claim of anti-vegan workplace discrimination, accusing the League of sacking him for his beliefs. The charity insists that it dismissed him for misconduct.

Mr Casamitjana said that, months before his dismissal, he was told off by Andy Knott, a boss at the charity, for wearing a hat saying that he was vegan.

Mr Casamitjana, who was head of policy and research, said he never felt discriminated against by his employers until Eduardo Gonçalves, the chief executive and a vegetarian, departed on long-term sick leave.

“All the food organised by the League for staff meetings (such as the office’s Christmas dinner) was vegan, and all the household products used in the office were suitable for vegans,” he said in a witness statement. “In fact the predecessor of Eduardo, Joe Duckworth, was also a vegan, so when I rejoined the organisation I did not expect any discrimination because of my veganism.

“But when Philippa King (who I know was a meat eater) became the interim CEO due to Eduardo’s absence . . . things started to change, and animal products started to be added in the office meals. The problem continued when Andy (also a meat eater) replaced her and became the acting CEO.”

Mr Casamitjana said that in one of their first meetings, Mr Knott “made a comment that worried me”. He added: “He said something along these lines: ‘I have seen you wearing a hat with the word vegan on it, as if you are dictating others what to eat, and although I could do something about it, I will not.’

“I did not reply, but I interpreted this as his expression of disapproval of the way I expressed my veganism. I had regularly worn the hat when going in and out of the office (not indoors) and others also wore clothing with all sorts of slogans.”

Mr Casamitjana was later suspended by Mr Knott for emailing all staff explaining how to switch their pensions from the League’s default fund — which the vegan said invested in companies involved in animal testing — to ethical alternatives. Mr Knott had warned him against providing financial advice to colleagues and he was sacked after a disciplinary procedure.

A preliminary tribunal hearing last month accepted that ethical veganism was a protected belief under equality law, like religion and atheism.

Patrick Keith, representing the League at the employment tribunal in Watford, suggested that, although Mr Casamitjana did not like being judged for being a vegan, he was judging others by describing them as meat-eaters.

Mr Keith said that there had been only an innocuous mention of the hat at the meeting and asked whether Mr Casamitjana’s recollection was coloured by subsequent events.

Mr Casamitjana replied: “I would say on reflection looking back at that meeting [the comment] about the hat became more significant having known everything that happened afterward.”

The hearing continues.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...laims-g95n9579k