View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am recently trying an experiment where I keep carbs lower and eat higher ("unlimited") amounts of meat and fat.

This is my fourth day, and you know what? All evidence shows I am hypermetabolic if any change at all. First of all, the first day of my experiment I ate copious amounts of fatty salmon. Calories were the same or slightly higher. First day I kept peeing and drinking water; next morning I was down 2.5 lbs. It couldn't have been liver glycocgen from cutting carbs alone, because my carbs were not all that much reduced to lose THAT much weight. Plus I could tell my lower body was a lot less bloated. In the minesotta starvation study when the guys were food restricted and then given more protein this also happened, they lots lots of water and became hypermetabolic. If the weight was all glycogen, then surely it was a simultenous increase in anabolism (putting greater demand on glycogen stores) also responsible, not just simple carb reduction. My carbs are not THAT low, nor are they relatively that reduced.

Already my body composition has already changed more favorably, in that my body looks more shapely and my waist and thighs have decreased in size. I look a lot healthier and slimmer (as in less fatty and bloated). My mood is extremely higher. My skin quality is much better and the eczema on my hands is clearing up. After eating my body feels like a heat furnace (especially after the salmon and egg foods)

This is not about calories only, but protein and fat. It's about energy and materials to build stuff with, and carbs are a crappy source of both for me and lots of other people. I tried increasing calories without specifically increasing fat and protein and decreasing carbs. It was a disaster. I gain a lot of fat, become bloated, eventually feel worse, and metabolism does not increase that much.

Maybe in deep ketosis there could be problems; I have not been in deep ketosis for 2 years now and when I was I don't remember feeling good. For me, though, more protein and fat is just what my body needs and it is the only thing that has really raised my metabolism.