View Single Post
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-18, 08:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I will add my experience as it may help someone in the future, or maybe the OP will stop in.

I craved sweets as a kid. ANd later in life I found out why. I am low serotonin. Both my son and I are on the autism spectrum, and the low serotonin is fixed by seeking starchy- sweet foods as it triggers serotonin up tick. Thee days to keep my carbs low I use an OTC supplement recommended by Dr Daniel Amen in his book HEALING ADD, which is called 5 HTP. Tryptophan can be used too but 5HTP is much easier. I have recently added another he recommends called St Johns Wort. Now several weeks and months into this ( along with Magnesium citrate which replaced my magnesium oxide) I am calm when normally I would fly off the handle i a screaming rage. I can think instead of rage. A calmness rather than irritability that was...... irritating.

THank goodness for Dr AMens book which he wrote for the lay person to use when a good doctor cannot be found. I love that is covers many other aspects of the brain that can complicate ADD/ADHD. All doctors I have talked to about this give me the blank look like they suddenly became autistic and self absorbed. lol

I have learned more from Dr AMen than ALL resources combined. And he provides treatment options for everything. I highly recommend it as a basic book of knowledge as so many issues are rather common, and dr Amen really helped me recognize how to ID the situation and try OTC supplements for better function. AND I can see in others that they are suffering and just need the right supplement support to make life better.