#26   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 17:32

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily1
I read somewhere in one of the journals claiming Peat suggested the thing which one makes one gain weight is the starches not the sugar, hence fruit sugar is OK but not starches ... but from what you write the plan is heavy on the potatoes which is starch?

Oh, but I think this plan is so suitable to the Irish lol, meat and potatoes, how can you go wrong

What do you have for breakfast? Fried eggs and hash browns come to mind, or steak and chips I presume beans and pulses are out?

So I think an example menu would be:

B: fried eggs and hash browns
L: chicken/fish with one or two small potatoes
D: Same as lunch???

Or:
B: Cottage cheese / Greek yogurt
L: seafood or chicken& corn or chicken & potato soup
D: chicken/fish/ steak with one or two small potatoes

Is the above right?? I didn't include juices or fruit, but suppose that could be taken as snacks in between??

Peat doesn't eat much potatoes himself now. He recommends potatoes because of their protein and lack of anti nutrients. Otherwise I am not quite sure why he is a fan, since yes they are a starch. He thinks all other starches should only be consumed occasionally though, when one's metabolism is healthy. I take that to mean when one's thyroid is optimised and/or they are at goal. My thyroid was optimised last year, but thanks to that ERFA crap, it is not running well again and I am in the process of sorting it. So, I avoid gluten free oats, rice and all other starches at the moment.

Re: the menu he only recommends meat once a day and it needs to be served with a portion of gelatine. So yesterday I had a small steak for dinner and drank a heaped teaspoon of gelatine in hot water with it.

Also, many have fruit after their meals.

He stresses milk, cheese and butter for dairy as he is not a fan of the lactic acid in yogurt. He believes lactic acid buildup in the blood can stress the metabolism. Again, if one's metabolism is functioning well he thinks occasional use of yogurt is okay.

Beans and pulses are out yes, due to their anti nutrients.

If one was to have chips; they would have to be cooked in the oven or at home with coconut oil. Chips at restaurants are PUFA heavy. I'm too scared for that yet though.

Here is the way I am eating.
Brunch: Cheese and tomato omelette with a side of sauteed potatoes in CO and a glass of milk
Dinner: Low PUFA fish/steak/chilli with potatoes, gelatine, milk, raw carrot and some dark chocolate
Supper: Milk, fruit and cheese/prawns

It appears that most people going from regular LC to his plan cannot eat much sugar without gaining weight. This is probably because LC'ers tend to eat a lot of PUFAs. I think this is why many do so well on ZC as opposed to LC. A diet made up of beef and lamb is very low PUFA and thus very anti inflammatory.

So, I am not eating much sugar the way some Peat followers seem to. Plus, I can't quite get my head around that anyway.

Peat is VERY against PUFAs, even in natural forms like meat. He is very pro fruit and dairy. He also recommends at least 80g of protein, as protein is needed for good thyroid function.

His approach focuses a LOT on thyroid health because a low thyroid affects every cell of the body and if left untreated/unoptimised can cause everything from obesity to heart problems to cancer.

HTH.

I am a Peat virgin and have only been on his plan for five days now.