#11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-12, 14:30

Plan: <20 g of carbs a day
Stats: 195/193/180 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaS
You are on the right track - go gluten free for Crohns as gluten is highly inflammatory and builds up over time in the GI, which is usually why people end up with Celiac's as well. A good GF whole grain cracker is Mary's Gone Crackers, which has flax and chia seed. Both have more Omega 3 than many fish. Omega 3 helps reduce Crohns symptoms. I just found a site you might like www.crohns.net
We use EVOO (with touch of turmeric for cooking - prevents oxidization) and coconut oil in our house exclusively and avoid Omega 6 hyrdrogenated oils for many reasons. We need the Omega 3s to keep his cholesterol numbers down, plus it is good for joint, heart and brain health.
Dr. Brenda Watson, a well known GI doctor recommends a quality probiotic/prebiotic/enzyme supplement for Crohns and other GI issues. She has a great book on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Road-Perfect-..._hu-rd_add_1_dp
My husband and I detox a couple times a year going gluten/dairy/soy/sugar/caffeine/vinegar free for 30 days at a time. We eat a low carb lifestyle in general every day in general, but GF takes more effort. We started on 1/4 and already have more energy, focus and the weight loss is the bonus. My husband had headaches for the first 3 days - mostly from coffee withdrawal. Before I did my first detox I had reduced my carbs by a greater percentage as time went on -not counting them, but limiting simple carbs to a couple times a week to one day a week in general. At first I craved, but after 2 weeks your brain will start to stop triggering those cravings - which is why we detox as it can take 2-3 wks for the sugar and carb cravings to cease. Once you get past it though you will feel SO MUCH better and it will be worth it! When I crave...I brew a decaf green tea. My brain says I don't want tea, but once I do it resolves my cravings because of the natural hunger curbing properties. it is definitely a mental battle - good luck!

Thanks for the response Rita! I've been avoiding any carbs except for the small amount in cooked veggies for the past few months, and I feel a lot better. I still have days where I'm not amazing, but I think part of that is because I dont get enough sleep >.<

It was definitely a process; I tried to do it all at once but ended up taking a month to completely cut out carbs. I do feel so much better though; I totally notice how my friends act before and after a big meal of carbs and its weird haha.