View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 16:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

These are a stand-by at my house now. Even my picky SO loves them, and when he first tried them, couldn't identify that they were coconut. He just said there was "something dessert-y" about them.

My variations on the recipe: I usually use 1 Tbsp less of the coconut flour and sub in a Tbsp of ground flax seed. It breaks up the coconut flavour and gives it more of a whole grain kind of taste. I also throw in a pinch of onion powder. Again, helps break up the coconut.

If you expect these to be a fantastic tea biscuit clone that will be delicious eating on their own, you'll probably be disappointed, but they are my favorite bread sub. They're excellent for dipping into soups, stews and runny egg yolks. They hold together really well for making a sandwich. They even survive trips to work in a Ziploc bag in my purse without breaking, yet they're not tough or too crumbly. Possibly the most important thing: they're on that fine threshold of being really, really enjoyable for me without ever being binge-worthy. I find them really filling and satisfying. YMMV.

Tip on the portioning: on no planet will I get 10 biscuits out of this recipe. I make them about the diameter of an English muffin, and I get 4 thin biscuits.