View Single Post
  #91   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-17, 09:29
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

It has been nearly a week since I added niacin, b complex, and vitamin c to my daily supplement regimen. I have been upping the niacin each day and have adjusted to it well. After that initial fairly intense flush I've only had minimal flushing since - even after increasing the amount taken. I've done more reading on it and decided to go a little higher than I originally planned (2g spread out over the day). That dose is at the level often prescribed to address cholesterol issues in patients at-risk for CVD.

From what I've read prescribing niacin was common practice since the 1950's and the only real side effect is the temporary flushing -- which is actually just a sign that the niacin is working. Statins were considered 'more effective' and sort of shoved niacin off the radar. So exactly what are statins more effective at? Lowering LDL. I that all? I don't know that I saw anything that compared niacin vs. statins in reducing the risk of CVD. So I'm still convinced that there is something not quite right when it comes to the wonder drug - statins. I think it is all about $$.

The only serious side effect that I read about involved liver issues from taking a slow release form of niacin (which I am not taking). Another side effect of niacin that occurs with about 1/3 of those who take it is increased blood glucose. I appear to be one of those 1/3. My FBG readings had been mostly in the 80 to 85 range for well over a year. Since starting niacin I'm now getting FBG in the 95 to 100 range. Last night before bed my BG was 107. Prior to taking niacin I rarely had BG readings over 100 - even after a meal.

I did a little more reading on this phenomenon last night. At one time they would take diabetics off of niacin if it raised their BG. But studies showed that the small increase in BG experienced by some resulted in no new or worsening diabetes related symptoms. So I guess it was determined that the small BG rise in some people after starting niacin treatment is really much ado about nothing.

I am/was a diabetic. Am I concerned about this small rise in BG. Not really. If it was pushing my BG into the danger zone of 140 or above, then yes - I'd be concerned. Who knows? It might even be beneficial or perhaps a sign that my cholesterol is being lowered by the niacin treatment. There might be some sort of count-balance thing between cholesterol & BG. I'll know in 3 weeks when I have my next lipid panel taken. This niacin therapy, along with the increased cardio exercise and dairy free experiment that I have been doing, should result in doctor pleasing cholesterol numbers. We shall see.
Sponsored Links