Thread: low-carb books
View Single Post
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-18, 11:31

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am really liking Dr. Michael Ruscio's 2018 book Healthy Gut, Healthy You: The Personalized Plan to Transform Your Health from the Inside Out. His writing style is right up my alley. I bought Jimmy Moore's Keto Clarity and picked up Cholesterol Clarity and found them unreadable - the layout just does not do it for me - so I will never pick them up to read.

Ruscio tells you what he's going to tell you, he tells you, then in a short summary, he tells you what he told you. He prefers human studies; in vivo vs. in vitro. He cites every study after each chapter (instead of at the end of the book). He present both sides of the issue. Even the outliers that goes against the point he's trying to make. Here's the data - here's why I've come to this conclusion / recommendation. He references his web site with URLs and when you go there - it's there.

I'm maybe half-way through and I'm glad I bought my own reference copy.

Just a handful of take always:

Vitamin D:

Wearing a sunscreen with a sun protection factor of 30 reduces vitamin D synthesis in the skin by more than 95%

People with a naturally dark skin tone have natural sun protection and require at least three to five times longer exposure to make the same amount of vitamin D as a person with a white skin tone.

study:

Sunscreens suppress cutaneous vitamin D3 synthesis. 6-1987

where study was referenced - section titled Causes of Vitamin D Deficiency:

Evaluation, Treatment, and Prevention of Vitamin D Deficiency: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline 7-2011

His chapter on sleep is very timely, as I just completed my sleep study (Polysomnography) and should get my results early next month.

I've been meaning to look up FODMAP, but his explanation clears everything up. He likes the PALEO diet - so I'm anxious to learn / read more.

He does not like any AS (artificial sweeteners), so I am back to black coffee.

If you are having health issues, then feeding your gut (prebiotics) may not be a good idea as you may have an overflow problem.

I like how I get the rest of the story from him.