View Single Post
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 16:35

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Red face scalp issues

Yep...seborrheic dermatitis was the diagnosis when I was a small child in the early 60's.......and the treatment prescribed for me was drastic. My first day of summer break after first grade I was taken up a l_o_n_g staircase to a small room, where I had to sit still while my hair was cut and shaved off... ALL of it. Then...every day for weeks...I had to have this stinky ointment on my head, followed by covering my entire head with a stocking cap. I had to go EVERYWHERE looking and smelling like this. It must have been a solid two months later before I was allowed to keep the cap off and start letting my hair grow again. I was too young to understand that I had a real scalp condition...I took it as punishment for scratching my itchy scalp til it bled...I had such an oily scalp..and such itchy flaky bumps......My second grade school picture shows me in what looks like a crewcut (not a bad thing for a male...but I'm FEMALE...). In the long run it never really cured the problem......and it didn't help that whenever my mom caught me scratching my scalp she'd "threaten" me with either applying that stinky stuff...or, once in anger, with having the entire procedure done "all over again".

Fast forward to today......I don't think the treatment is THAT drastic any more. We have so many other procedures...both natural and prescription, I'm sure. I'm 53 yrs old...and I still have scalp outbreaks...quite often exaccerbated by the oil in my scalp and times of stress....BUT....I've discovered over the years that if I keep my hair and scalp clean...using a natural tea tree oil based shampoo and rinsing thoroughly....AND keeping my fingernails trimmed down to a bare minimum (because scratching breaks open sores and aggravates the problem) I can keep this problem under control. The itch often comes and goes...but this way I can't scratch it until it bleeds....I can only rub lightly....which I do a lot when I'm washing my hair...and it gets a chance to heal until the next outbreak. Coconut oil seems too risky...

I thought I would pass on my experience....FWIW