View Single Post
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 14:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I like the SCD diet. It really does seem to be helping getting things back under control after going gluten/casein free and getting worse! I'm not sure I buy the claims that it cures celiac disease. Or lets just say, I'm highly skeptical. Still, it is a great diet and I am hoping it helps me in many ways.

Celiac disease just means that your gluten sensitivity has severely damaged your intestinal villi. Some people never have any GI symptoms from it, some have neurological symptoms or autoimmune diseases or skin conditions. Dr. Fine is using a new test which picks up on gluten sensitivity before it ever gets to the stage where it destroys the villi or leaks antibodies into the blood stream, far earlier than the so called "gold standard" biopsy test. But whether or not you had villi damage, if you're unable to properly digest wheat the treatment is the same as it is for celiacs, lifelong avoidance of the protein that causes the damage.

I'd like to see graduates of the SCD diet who were diagnosed celiacs pass Dr. Fine's test. That would cure my skepticism.

Turkany, I'm on SCD right now. I am also casein intolerant so the milk based yogurt is out for me. However, I'm making yogurt (like) stuff from other things, like coconut milk. You can buy a yogurt maker from Amazon, I think I got mine there. I like the sort that do a quart at a time. You could also improvise using a heating pad or your oven light. The key is to make sure the milk stays at at least 90' and not hotter than... not sure... 115? You don't want to kill the microbes. I'm sure if you look around on the Internet you'll get a lot of ideas for making yogurt.

I am hanging out with the paleo's because they tend to eat SCD-ishly. Their recipe thread had lots of ideas.

The only issue you might find with SCD is that you'll have to do a lot of cooking. People aren't used to that.