#70   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-11, 17:40
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 135/125/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default New to Ray Peat after 9 years of low-carb

Hi everyone, I've just read through this very interesting thread, which I arrived at, first by reading Matt Stone's 180 Degree Health blog and then by following up with some of the authors who've influenced him (i.e Ray Peat).

I'm hoping to find other people to support me as I experiment with this way of eating, because everything I'm doing (reducing cardio exercise, refusing to complete my one month trial of "hot" yoga, eating saturated fat and avoiding plant oils), is in direct opposition to what's considered healthy.

I went through people worrying about me when I originally lost 15 lbs and kept it off through l/c'ing, but at least I could point to great skin and hair and a lean muscular body as a sign that it was working.

As I got older though, I seemed to be able to eat fewer and fewer carbs without my weight jumping up. It has slowly climbed back up to 15 lbs over ideal, and I cannot lose an ounce, even though I've followed a low-carb way of life fastidiously for 9 years. 2 years ago, I started doing excessive cardio as well as limiting calories for the first time since before l/c to try and keep my weight down, which apparently was also a mistake.

So two weeks ago, I added a lot more carbs to my diet (per Matt Stone's) advice, although I haven't been overeating like he recommends. Initially my skin looked fantastic, but after making some tweaks to follow Ray Peat, I look like I've aged 10 years. I also feel puffy and flabby. I'm wondering if this is typical as your body recovers from a previously high intake of PUFA.

I'd love to hear from any of you who have had to wait for the beneficial changes, just to make sure they are in fact coming. I'm also terrified of having to fight sugar cravings again, and wonder if that may be a factor with this diet.

Thanks for any encouragement.

Megan