View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-12, 07:41

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

As a personal trainer who knows and who has worked with quite a few former powerlifters and O-lifters over the years, I must say almost all of them have what I call "busted up weight-lifter syndrome. Busted up shoulders, knees and low back. Some hips as well. Lifting super heavy weights in low rep ranges is flirting with disaster in terms of your long-term orthopedic health IMO.

If we look at the sport of bodybuilding, we also see that a myopic focus on always lifting heavier and heavier tends to cause a lot of injuries. Guys like Ronnie Coleman and Dorain Yates sustained career ending injuries pushing the envelope in terms of how much weight they could hoist from point a to b.

Whereas guys like Serge Nubret and Scott Abel built great physiques with lighter weights by using a lot more volume than the "ultra super-duper heavy weights" folks. More of a "cumulative fatigue" approach to weight training, than a lift super heavy stuff approach. The famous Hollywood "trainer to the stars" Vince Gironda also used this approach with great success.

Serge Nubret seldom used more than 225 on the bench-press, which is rather light for a worldclass bodybuilder. But his pecs looked as good as the guys using over 400 pounds. And ole Serge still looked good, and was still pumping iron well into his 70's...until his recent death.

Gary Styrdom is another guy who still looks great in his 50's and attributes his injury-free career longevity to using lighter weights for higher reps and more overall volume.

I spent decades in the "lift super heavy" camp, but it eventually started causing me injuries. Even caused me a few in my youth.

I now prefer a higher rep/volume approach to training, with moderate-heavy weights instead.