View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 13:43
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I would think that insulin resistance and genetics wound also be a factor in this. If one person has a higher insulin response to the same food than the average person it could very well be that their fat cells remain in 'storage mode' for a longer period of time. If you are insulin resistant, then you will have a higher insulin response than you did when you were not so insulin resistant.

When I was still significantly insulin resistant I found that I was quite reactive hypoglycemic. My blood sugar spiked, then crashed within 30 minutes of eating even just a few easily digestible carbs. When my blood sugar was crashing I was ravenous. When my blood sugar was below my norm I was feeling the pull of all those carbs in the pantry. I've often wondered what was my insulin level doing while all of this was going on? Did I have high insulin levels and low blood sugar at the same time? If that is the case, no wonder that I was constantly hungry. My glucose tank was running low and my body fat was locked down. Time to grab some chips and camp out in my recliner. I could never sustain a high carb, low fat, low calorie diet. The only way I've ever been able to lose any weight is via low carb.

After learning that I was reactive hypoglycemic I read up on it. They did suggest eating fewer high GI carbs, but they also suggested eating many small meals a day to have a more stable blood glucose level. For me I think that was exactly the wrong thing to do. It may have been what was required to keep my BG up and to have more energy, however, eating that way would have kept me eternally weight stable or gaining fat. I'd have never lost any fat except for during sleep.

Today my IR is much improved. From the foods that I eat my BG tends to react in a normal way after a meal. In other words, less IR has made my less reactive hypoglycemic. I suspect, though, that I do still have a higher insulin response to carbohydrates than the average person does. Perhaps I always have.