View Single Post
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 19:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yum, BUTTER !

I have the old PP book and atkins 2002 as well as a few other book.

You really shoould buy each of the books because there are many differences and many similarities. THe data behind the ideas are also very important.

I have been back doing atkins for three weeks, and I'm reading PP again.

1. Atkins puts a limit on protein; until full, not stuffed. PP actually has a limit IMO to the 3 servings decided by lean body weight.I see PP as more portion control.

2. Atkins pushes fats and very low carb to really stoke the fat burning abilities; to get that metabolic plus as well. As good quality meats have lots of fat anyway, I wouldn't experience a difference in fats.

3. Fat Fast--not for everyone, only those with very stubborn metabolism. But any effort to increase the % fat AND reduce total calories.

4. Both want you to exercise.

5. I found the calc of lean body weight to be redictulous; for all the detailed calculcations, I think the count is off , way off, for me. I had a hard time in beleiving the quantity of protein because of this. BUT I do use it as a guide to not overeat while doing ATkins, as not portions are given. As an overeater I needed some guidence on what was a reasonable quantity.

6. I like that Atkins tries to encourage eating the most nutritious vegetables; the body needs to repair all the years of damage from poor eating. However, he allows berries, nuts, etc after 2 weeks. I do eat fruit in very small quantities; most grains are not nutritious, they are primarily calories. And sugar which is allowed as well on PP is just bad news for the body. It gives me hot flashes--so I beleive it must do other things to the body as well.

Read BOTH, and try which you think fits you best. If you don't like the plan, you won't stay with it. So which you use needs to fit your needs. Learn your own body. Each of us is unique.

I basically follow Atkins, keep the meat portions small like PP and weigh everyday like ---can't remember!---and average the week. LOL