#5   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 09:01

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
What is the "coconut diet" exactly? Is that what "Eat fat, Lose fat" proposes? I've read Nourishing Traditions by the same authors, but that's a much more varied diet, I think.

I have a copy of "Eat Fat, Lose Fat", though not right here in front of me, so can't swear to what I'm saying. However it's basically a lowish-carb diet, but especially touts the benefits of coconut oil, and does recommend coconut oil be included as part of the daily diet. There is a fairly extensive recipe section too, with lots of recipes showing how to incorporate coconut into the diet. I'd call it more a high-fat diet I think - which sounds good to me.

You can see some exerpts from it here at google books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=_MVwKoDvcj4C&pg=PA208&lpg=PA208&dq=coconut+muffins+"eat+fat,+lose+fat"&source=bl&ots=HpycBr3RL0&sig=Jjsu-NDoiw8cSTScOOEbpOSKG9Q&hl=en&ei=jXQRStOuFM3gtgeu97WICA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

showing recipes for things like coconut pancakes and coconut muffins. These recipes *do* use flour, so very likely higher carb than many of us want to go! I don't think it's a VLC plan. It also allows oats and legumes. The book states: "While most other diet plans tell you to leave certain foods out of your diet--such as fat, dairy, grains, meat, salt or desserts--the 'Eat Fat, Lose Fat' plan tells you how to include all these foods in your diet."

Their principal message seems to be not to fear fat. You can see quite a lot of the book at the google books preview. Page three there talks about America's anti-fat obsession, and goes on to say many people in the US are fat-deficient. They do refer to their experiences with the Weston Price Foundation.

They build on Nourishing Traditions, with notes about how grains must be soaked to help neutralize the phytic acid. In some ways it's a sort of Nourishing Traditions "lite" with emphasis on weight loss rather than general overall well-being, and emphasis on coconut oil comsumption.