#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 18:21

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Elevated liver enzymes?

Hi Everyone,
I've been dancing in and out of dieting for a long time and never seem to get past a certain point (like 12-18 lbs.) and then give up for one reason or another.

I seriously want to give the low carb/ketosis another go but my last ketosis type diet (Ideal Protein) left me with elevated liver enzymes (to the tune of 3 or 4 of them being elevated to 5 times what they should be, and the remaining ones also out. I have no solid proof that it was the diet that caused this but they were good a few months beforehand and really bad during (that's what made me stop the diet).

I had to be tested for hepatitis, had an ultrasound and a CT scan. After that we still have no idea why, so I'm going to see a Gastroenterologist in 1 month to find out more. My liver enzymes are considerably better now but still out, and one (GGT) is 70, should be 40 max. There was no sign of fatty liver disease in the CT scan and I'm told it would show if I had it.

So my question is, does anyone know if ketosis is ok for me right now? My current doc (where I am for the summer) says ketosis is not good for anyone as it's too hard on the body and not maintainable so I can't get a straight answer from him.

When not on the diet I tend to eat really poorly if under stress (which I am now) so it's gluten free deserts, chocolate, ice cream, and crap like that. I don't buy bread or bring bad foods into the house per se but manage to get in the crappy stuff when I'm out so I truly want to nip it in the bud sooner than later.

Thanks for you help and hope someday I will get it together and get it done so I can help others!
Sponsored Links