View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 01:44

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 275/272/165 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 3%
Wink 99% Cocoa Chocolate - Made for Atkins?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a Lindt commercial - its not
When my wife and I stared induction, we remembered reading that dark chocolate was low in carbs. Most of the chocolate bars we checked however had considerable amount of carbs.

Then we found Lindt chocolate bars. They have 70%, 85%, 90%, and 99% Cocoa varieties. The 70% and 85% were prohibitive, but one 10 gram square from the 90% had 1 net carbohydrate (of sugar). Taste wise, It was very bitter but it grew on us eventually as our palate adjusted.

After the first week I saw their 99% in the supermarket. A 50g bar had 4 Carbohydrates. 3 grams were Fibre and 1 gram was sugar. That was for the entire bar! Well, it was definitely bitter the first time I had it. I've been having it for about a week or so now .. and I am definitely over the bitterness, I actually prefer it to the other stuff now. I can eat one bar a day and only get one net carb. And one bar can be nursed the whole day when at work. I also leaves a dryness in my mouth which prompts me to drink more water (yay!) We all know chocolate is healthy .. full of antioxidants (80,000 ORAC rating). I was reading that 99% Cocoa is the best of the best and one of its great attributes is the fact it has more magnesium than calcium - 6:1 ratio! (Mag to Calcium is supposed to be 1:1 but on average people have 18x more Calcium than magnesium ..)

Wow that really did sound like an advertisement. The point I'm trying to make is that its been making induction very easy for us. We ran out on Friday and didn't get to the store to get more ... we kind of fell off the wagon this weekend. Bought some more tonight ..

Weight-wise we've been having it for a week or so now .. weight loss is semi-consistent .. I'm losing about a quarter to half a pound a day.
Sponsored Links