View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 09:28

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%
Default I also read cookbooks for pleasure

There are times, lately, I've found myself reading them with a more critical light - how can I make this low carb.

There are others I've actually culled from my collection and donated to a local second-hand (similar to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or wherever the recipient of the day is). I've actually been doing a lot of down-sizing, and it's not just me - I've probably given away over 1000 pounds of hobby/craft supplies, books, fabric, clothing, etc., since Jan 1 (when I started sorting and cleaning).

I'm not sure if it is entirely food related (or the energy I've gotten from being smaller), but it certainly feels good to bless others with "excess", rather than hanging onto unnecessary items (and that certainly could include the weight).

Anyway, back to topic - I had collected so many "low fat" books, and realize now that there is very little possibility of making those LC-friendly, that I gave up. I have still kept my baking/cookie recipes, because I do enjoy baking at Christmas (or whenever), and giving it away to church Bazaars, etc. Thankfully, I really don't care if I eat it or not, so I can get the pleasure of creating without the added load it puts on my body.

I don't read the cookbooks that much any more. There's probably a few good reasons:

(a) when my husband is home, he enjoys cooking (although he counts on me usually to find the recipes for him to try)
(b) since (a) doesn't apply again until the end of June, I've just been cooking basic meals (quite often separate ones when necessary) for my son and I. My daughter works such wierd hours that she either creates her own meals, or eats whatever leftovers I've put in the fridge
(c) a few years ago I had a car accident and it affected my sense of taste. My taste buds still work (the ones on your tongue that distinguish between sweet, sour, bitter, salty, etc.), but the flavour I enjoy comes strictly from smell - a real bummer during allergy season - so cooking is a challenge, as I don't really know if I've seasoned something appropriately. Perhaps that's why I stick with such basic dishes - what's the point when you cannot thoroughly enjoy them, anyway?

Perhaps as the other post indicated, food has not become such an integral part of my life (you should have seen me just after the accident - when EVERYTHING tasted like cardboard - so I ate everything in sight, just hoping it would taste like SOMETHING).

I've learned to live with the fact that textures, colours, presentation and especially company are way more important than the food itself, and that it is only fuel for the body, and not a replacement for friendship, lonliness, etc.

I've rambled enough. Thanks for bringing it up - I needed to evaluate a few things, and that helped.