#74   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 08:06

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There are a lot of skinny-fat people. They store their fat around their internal organs, in their liver, etc. It's actually worse than having subcutaneous fat like us vanity dieters have.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6220596.stm

If someone is skinny and they eat a lot of carbs everyone assumes they're healthy. I don't make that assumption any longer.

That was an interesting article! You're right...we do associate body size as an overall indicator of someone's state of health. That's exactly why my husband was stunned when he saw the doc had written " pre-diabetic - cut back on daily carb intake" on the test results. My husband declared..."I can't be pre-diabetic! I'm not fat!"

I took the time to try and explain it to him again about how eating sugar, whether you're fat or not, is doing to his insides. I think it's just really hard for him to really understand what his daily glasses of milk, toast and jam, hotdog w/bun meals are doing to him because overall, he feels just fine. Which is exactly why diabetes is such an insidious disease...people don't feel sick early on. Plus he's not fat and everyone assumes only fat people get diabetes because that's what is out there in the media.

So for sure I have my work cut out for me bringing him fully over to the low carb side. I have to give him some credit that he is making a semi-attempt to cut back so hopefully over time he'll embrace this WOE.