#69   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 12:20

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

Thanks for those links. they are of particular interest to me because of my personal health issues, and because of my family health history, which is rife with the diseases strongly connected to iron overload. I have also had ferritin that was too high, and rising yearly, even though it was not out of "range", my online reading shows that the range is dangerously skewed and is far too high. Anyway, it is time for me to get ferritin checked again, and see if I need to donate blood again. One of my concerns with keeping my blood glucose levels under good control is that I never want to have to inject insulin. Injecting any kind of insulin would mean I could never donate blood again, and would have to have a doctor's order for phlebs, and I have been totally unsuccessful in getting a doctor to agree I have an iron problem.

From accidentally going too low from overdonating, I found that I load iron back fairly quickly, faster than a couple of people I know who have actual genetic hemochromatosis, which I do not have. So I mean to keep being able to donate when "I" believe my ferritin is too high. Besides, donating to a blood bank is free, doctor ordered phlebs are quite expensive, and I don't believe medicare pays for them.
sol