#63   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 18:00

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
The student found that diabetic rats excrete more chromium in their urine than non-diabetic rats. Why? Because diabetic rats absorb more chromium from their diets than non-diabetic rats. More goes in, so more goes out. Chromium isn't even an essential element for humans or rats (which was the major conclusion of the PhD research), although in some cases it can bind on insulin receptors and help the body to use insulin better.

And, here's something else that is not known: How does a diabetic with well-controlled blood sugar absorb and excrete various minerals and vitamins? That is, if blood sugar is kept "normal," is a diabetic's ability to absorb/excrete minerals/vitamins similar to that of a non-diabetic? In general, no one knows.

Good and reasonable questions, and with the answers you received, it seems prudent to pursue living as healthy a lifestyle as possible and becoming more informed about supplementation of vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc..... as science doesn't hold all the answers.

Not to address how a diabetic compared to a non-diabetic responds differently, but to how a healthy vs non-healthy body responds:

In my experience, a healthier body seems to absorb nutrients more easily than an unhealthy body. Going from unhealthy to healthy is simple to me now, as I look back on my experience.

Do what a sensible, wholesome healthy person does and supplement as needed till the body can absorb more efficiently, then reduce the supplementation, but keep monitoring myself.

The way I did this was to get complete blood work every 3 months till I got healthy enough to where those numbers became static in the normal ranges, and now I do that every 6 months to make sure I'm staying healthy. I know there are arguments on the validity of some of the tests such as magnesium levels, but paying attention to blood testing and making adjustments accordingly has worked for me, along with learning to think about how I am feeling.

But you said one thing that rings a bell for me and this is how I see my health:

I can't look for one thing that is going to make a difference in my health, but rather, I need to not let my focus become narrow as one thing grabs my attention. I need to continue looking at the whole picture and keep working on it from every angle and never give up and never become stagnant in my thinking.