#13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 19:33
Registered Member

Plan: zone
Stats: 205/165/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:

Hi,

I know it sounds like a lot of food but i measure it in fitday and it is around 1800 calories. My carbs are about 36 grams per meal. She did start me out on a lot of carbs because my adrenals were burned out and you need to keep your insulin higher to take the stress off the adrenals. I probably could have eaten less food, but then my body would have rebuilt slower and it would have taken more time to heal. I'm actually still insulin resistant but my adrenals have healed. I was eating only small portions of meat, nonstarchy vegetables, and nuts before I started this and I couldn't lose a pound on 900 calories a day. Now I eat between 1800 and 2100 calories a day and i still lose weight. It's because my adrenals and thyroid work better now. Remember I was her patient and believe me, Dr. S wants you to eat. Also, she has raised her idea of carb allowance since the first book. She would only start you out at 15 grams per meal if your adrenals were perfectly healthy and probably wouldn't keep you there for very long. She started me at 25 grams per meal and I had the worst metabolism type.
I do try to choose things low on the glycemic scale.

I don't presume to tell anyone what's right for them, but you asked, so I shared. Nobody wants to gain weight, but for people with burned out adrenals, you have no choice if you want to actually heal your metabolism.