#718   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-19, 18:13

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Time for an update. Good news and bad.

Great news on today's stats:

207.6 lbs, 23.5% BF. This is the lowest I've been in a long time, and as of today I am no longer obese according to the BMI.

I've been doing cardio - stairs at work, mainly.

The bad news is that I've not been lifting. I'm happy and sad, both.

I think I've re-discovered a fundamental truth that bodybuilders have known for a long time: You can shed fat effectively, or you can build muscle effectively, but you cannot do both at the same time. They call this "cutting" and "bulking".

I never intended to "bodybuild" - as in competition, so I figured effectiveness didn't matter much, as long as I made steady progress on both. Well I did get progress on both, and then that progress came to a halt for a couple of months. So I took a break from busting my butt and just went keto with low calorie intake.... and look what happened!

I suspect the muscle I've added since October has been helpful in burning off some of the fat. But mostly it's probably just the energy required to stay alive that's doing the burning - Circulation and breathing, really.

Anyway, I've found a process that seems to be working, so I'll stick with that until I've moved from overweight to normal weight. Then we will pick up again with increased protein and lifting. Put on the good weight - muscles!