Thread: low-carb books
View Single Post
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 07:17

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Reading Dr. Valter Longo's The Longevity Diet (2016). Starts out good, with his background and how he got into his field. Interestingly, he states right up front that this is not a lose weight diet book - but like the title states, it's about longevity. It used to bother me when I heard something contrary to what I was doing - now it fascinates me, the different goals, motivations, toward different outcomes (treating disease, losing weight, etc.). Since his goal is living longer, he details what high protein can do that goes against this:

High protein intake, as I have explained, causes the activation of the growth hormone receptor, growth factor 1 (IGF-1), whose altered concentrations are associated with diabetes and cancer, respectively. Proteins and certain amino acids derived from them, including leucine, can activate TOR-S6K, a set of genes that accelerate aging. Another gene that appears to play a key role in aging is PKA, which we have shown in both simple organisms and mice to be activated by sugars. Mice with reduced PKA activity live longer and are protected against age-related disease.

Even Dr. Dale Bredesen says in The End of Alzheimer's (2017), which is also not a diet lose weight book (as the title is self-explanitory), that meat should be a condiment side dish during a meal.

He states up front that he is not making any money from this book, or his fasting-mimicking diet, which is NOT in the book. You have to go to a site and it's may be a subscription service kind of thing. He does not get anything from those sales either - only expenses.