View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-14, 07:23

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 260/218/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default L-Carnitine--help!

So, as I am want to do from time to time, I went back and re-read 2002 DANDR. I don't know how it flew under the radar this long, but I finally absorbed Dr. A's discussion about the benefits of L-Carnitine.

Since I have been losing at a much slower rate this time around, I decided I would pick up a bottle when I was at Vitamin Shoppe and give it a try. I took one 500mg dose with dinner on Sunday night.

Since then, I have basically been feeling terrible! About 20 minutes after taking it, I felt nauseated. Two or so hours after that, I had diarrhea. Monday morning, as I was getting ready to leave the house, I had an acute and overwhelming need to vomit--which I did. Yesterday morning (despite having taken an Imodium), more diarrhea. And last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with a splitting headache (I very, very rarely get headaches). All along, I've also been feeling just kind of generally out of sorts--ongoing low grade nausea being the most salient thing.

Most of these symptoms (nausea, headache, diarrhea) seem to be common for some folks in the early days of taking L-Carnitine...but typically at higher/more frequent doses; I only took the one 500mg dose.

TBH, I'm a little reluctant to try another dose--hs anyone had these kinds of side effects? Do you have any suggestions (I have pondered cutting the dose in half and trying that)....??
Sponsored Links