View Single Post
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 14:21
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I will admit outright that I've not read this entire thread, but only read the first page and skimmed otherwise.

However, I very recently decided to go with 2 big meals per day (and no snacks.) I've been low carbing since December of 2010, so a bit over a year. I lost 60 pounds, but have been stalled for about 5 months. I need to lose about 30 more. Since I've lowered carbs and done some other tweaking to no avail, I've really suspected that I'm just at a point at which I need fewer kcals. But, I've had a very hard time achieving that with my hunger issues.

Anyway, by paying attention to my day to day, I realized that I did far better keeping food intake at more reasonable levels on weekends/days off than on work days. I finally saw the pattern. On work days, I would aspire to have 3 meals - a moderate breakfast and lunch and a larger dinner. Even so, the smaller breakfast and lunch did not satisfy me, so by dinner time, I was ravenous and would end up overeating at the meal and/or snacking after the meal. I would have periods during which I could control this, but it was difficult overall. On days off, however, I always ate a larger breakfast, and found that I just wasn't hungry for a long time afterwards.

So, I decided to try eating big breakfasts every day. I quickly realized that I just didn't need lunch, and dinner could actually be a bit smaller than breakfast, yet keep me satisfied. Even though each of these meals is larger than each of the 3-4 meals I'd previously been eating were, the overall intake has been less. I've been able to comfortably get my kcal intake down to about 1500 per day (low for me.) This is huge for me. Previously, I was eating at least 2000 kcals per day, and often more because of the grazing after dinner.

I find that I do start to get hungry a couple of hours before dinner, but it's not a gnawing, uncomfortable hunger. It's more of an "empty stomach" feeling, but I'm fine, and I know a nice dinner is coming, so I carry on about my business without issue. It doesn't take over my mind.

Overall, I find I just feel better eating larger meals less frequently.

I believe that the frequent small meals advice was born out of necessity to deal with the hunger, low blood sugar shakiness and discomfort that comes from the recommended high carb, low fat diet. Also, there is the idea that doing this will "fire up" the metabolism (which I think is probably pretty darned dubious.) Anyway, on a low carb, fat-centric diet, eating only a couple of large meals per day actually leaves me less hungry, more satisfied on fewer kcals and feeling better than smaller, frequent meals.

I have only been doing this since Wednesday (so this is my fifth day,) and I don't know if I've started losing weight again. I want to give it a fair shake, so I'm not going to weigh right off the bat. I'll give it at least another week before I do that.

Sorry to be so long; I was just glad to see a thread that is discussing the very thing I found for myself recently.