View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 09:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/132/118
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy quitting smoking and weight gain

I am having trouble losing weight despite my low-carbing efforts. I am losing but very very slowly. I guess I just have to accept the fact that I am one of those who has never and will never get the added incentive of initial rapid weight loss on this diet.

Not only do I wish to lose weight but I also desperately want to quit smoking in my quest for a healthy lifestyle. I am finally ready and determined to do it and nothing will soften my resolve. However I am terrified of the weight gain and would welcome any advice to avoid this.

Do we have any low-carbers out there who have been able to avoid gaining weight whilst quitting smoking? If so, what can you suggest to help?

I will be starting on Zyban to help me quit as I have a number of friends who have been successful in quitting with Zyban, unlike their previous attempts with patches, gum, hypnotherapy, etc, the list goes on!

As I understand it, Zyban was originally prescribed as an anti-depressant before it was discovered that it curbs nicotine cravings. A common side-effect of anti-depression drugs is weight gain and fluid retention. I cannot seem to find any information as to whether this is also true for Zyban. The possible side-effects listed for Zyban include, dry mouth, insomnia, nausea and hyperactivity and whilst these do not sound like they might encourage weight gain I simply cannot help but to be wary.

Has anyone had any experience with Zyban and did it cause any increase in weight gain?

Other quit smoking techniques (and I think I've tried 'em all) have not been of help to me so Zyban is the way I am going to go. And as I have said I am determined to do this, so the weight gain is not an issue that will stop me. Please, please no responses along the lines that the health benefits of quitting will far outweigh any increases in weight. I know this and rather than needing encouragement, I really, really need any help anyone can give me in terms of avoiding additional weight gain.
Sponsored Links