#11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 13:32
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
I have yet to see anything in the USDA database that compares the sugar content of a very tart Granny Smith apple to the super sweet Honey Crisp apple, but I can't imagine that the sugar content of the two is the same.

GS does have its own entry in the USDA. Not sure how many others do.

I agree it would be great if the many main types were evaluated -- modern versions we get in the stores, maybe at the length of time they are normally purchased.

By that I mean they are being bred for things like shipping, and are often picked well pre-ripe. Something picked pre-ripe, boxed, shipped or trucked, that you eat some time after its picking, might have some different values than something picked when ideally ripe from the vine and evaluated right then.

I see the gaming of the USDA system already -- such as only providing the 'serving size' for evaluation (as opposed to a larger size they could divide into serving size) and which allows a label to come out saying something like 0 everything -- I have about five spices in my personal spreadsheet with the note "they hide it, USDA says 0 even for cups of it" -- so anything that can be done to game the system, food producers will.

PJ