View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-20, 08:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Sorry to hear about your busted ankle. After knee surgery and broken toes, I've found that soaking in Epsom salts and applying ice (actually bags of frozen peas or corn, or the moldable & refreezable packages meant for icing sports injuries - wrap in a kitchen towel to not hurt your skin) worked well. In fact I avoided taking opioids in the first two days after knee surgery with just icing every 20-30 minutes (or as needed) when awake and ibuprophen at night.

I always hated icing as a kid and never left it on enough, but after knee surgery I found if I iced it until completely numb, there was no pain except for ~2 minutes of burning before it goes numb ... I actually got to where I enjoyed the warm feeling the burn knowing I would soon feel no pain. I kept two sets of peas so that used one had time to refreeze in between applications.

When I broke two toes an elderly colleague recommended Epsom salts. I thought it was just an old wives tale, but eventually I tried it due to the pain and it worked. Scientifically I knew there is no way the large molecules could get into my foot, which is why I was always skeptical, but then it occurred to me that it was the super-saturated Epsom salt water that was drawing excess fluid out of my foot, reducing inflammation and pain! My toes didn't look very swollen, but any inflammation removed helps.

My sister broke her ankle a couple of years ago and both Epsom salt & icing helped her get through it without ibuprophen.