View Single Post
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 09:19

Plan: RNY (small portions)
Stats: 306/233/120 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Jumping in here, because I've started on niacin, both me and my 13 yr. old daughter.

I have long suspected my family had poor absorption of niacin and other B vitamins, many of us suffer from acne, obesity, arthritic aches and pains (not to mention needing hip replacements as we age), gallbladder issues, and mental issues having to do with stress such as depression and anxiety. I have 3 daughters, the oldest is already grown up and gone. The 2nd and 3rd still home. Our 3rd has obesity and acne, complains of aches and pains, and is depressed with some anxiety and disordered thinking. Our 2nd has a tendency to obesity and acne and depression as well, but less so. So rather than going the medical route I've talked DD3 into niacin therapy and she's going to try it; I'm also going on it but in lesser doses for my arthritic type symptoms.

So we've been on for a couple of days now. I'm taking 500 g after supper, I had a minor flush, mainly on the forearms. I wonder why the flush is mainly there? When I took one in the morning I had a major painfully tingling all body flush that reached to the toes. Felt like being dipped in hot sauce! Not really sure why as I also had it after food, but I'll try to avoid that. DD3 had an intense flush the first time she had it and it seems to have died down a fair bit, fairly quickly.

I do seem to have reduced pain symptoms and am sleeping better and dealing well with stress.

On the down side, when I take it it feels like my heart has pain and is strained a bit. I woke today with a bit of angina, which I don't generally have. I know the dilation of blood vessels happens systemically and I suppose that's happening to my heart as well.

On the good side, there are increased vaginal lubrications, lol! I haven't noticed a decrease in my hunger, or any change in weight but it is early days yet. I am not currently low carbing but do avoid milk as I am lactose intolerant.

I'm going to note any changes with DD3, which is the main thing.

Other things I take fairly regularly are ibuprofen (600 mg at morning and sometimes before bed or after a nap if I feel achy), Vit. C, Vit. D and Biotin. I have a tendency not to absorb enough calcium and I occasionally get crampy, so I also fairly often take chewable calcium, potassium, magnesium, and an algae called Chlorella which is a greens supplement with good results.

I have a large family to look after, drive bus part time, volunteer a lot, go to church regularly, don't smoke, drink coffee and alcohol very sparingly and am nearly 50 living near the PNW where we don't get much sun but lots of fresh air, views and moisture. This beautiful land feeds my spirit.

I have joint pain, especially in the knees, but I am carrying almost 300 lbs. every day, up and down buses, walking, etc. I love soaking in hot water for the pain relief and relaxation. I also find the volunteering relaxing though somewhat tiring also, and have to be careful to limit it sometimes. I knit, paint, journal, play solitary mind-stimulating games such as Sudoku, crosswords and Mahjong a fair bit, and have a beautiful cat.