View Single Post
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 16:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%
Default sleep

I've been following this thread and everything seems to ring true about sleep and darkness. Since being married to an astronomer, and thus needing to sleep all sorts of hours, we've had blackout curtains fixed, which cut out around 95% of the light, even when it's sunny outside. Now I can't say I go to bed early, as I wouldn't see my hubby at all, but I can say that I sleep A LOT more with them.

Light is crucial - even if there is a bit in the mornings, I wake up. It's a nightmare when I go to visit England in their Summer (our Winter), as I get put in this room with peach curtains which let in all the light, and the sun comes up at like 5.30am. Aaaargh. Nobody else seems to be affected by this like me. Hubby just sleeps through everything, including hangovers (no such luck for me) Runs in the family though. My brother once started attatching binliners to the curtains at uni whilst doing exams because he just couldn't sleep enough.

I once went to visit a huge long cave in Hawaii. Most bizarre thing happened. We got most of the way down, and it was pitch black, only the sound of dripping water, sat down to appreciate the stillness and quietness, and I promptly fell asleep! Apparently I was out for about 5 minutes when hubby awoke me to go back out. It was soooooo dark and quiet and cool I just conked. Since then I have been convinced I need total and utter darkness and quiet to sleep my best.

I also found natural sounds help me to sleep (water, people, dogs even), but sounds of cars /traffic drives me nuts. The sea is the best - I have been known to conquer ongoing chronic insomnia just sleeping right next to the sea with no other sounds.

Also, we have regular blackouts here as the electricity is not so hot in Chile. When they have ocurred in the evening, I am falling asleep much earlier. I also feel much calmer. Even candlelight seems to produce this effect. I am sure this is to do with melatonin production.

I haven't read that book, but I really want to after all the raves - it sounds very interesting.

Loops