#12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 09:29

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Disdain is hardly the feeling I get. When you're eating certain types of food in response to a powerful addiction while conforming to the recommendation to "eat a balanced diet" and "everything in moderation," I have nothing but empathy in these situations.

Ditto. I'm a compulsive overeater (which is why I'm in OA) as well as a t2 diabetic who still struggles with low carb. But - I can go to restaurants that have "bad" food & not be overwhelmed with the desire to eat. At a pot luck recently, a friend had a plate of desserts & tried to hide it from me so I wouldn't be tempted. I told him I wasn't that delicate.

But it is hard to eat differently from 99% of the people you know. Every once in a while I'll rant at OA meetings that I would love to be normal & be able to eat anything. I was in denial for so long after being diagnosed as diabetic, I don't blame those who can't change their diets. I know how hard it is. And maybe - down the road a bit - they will have the strength to do it.

For myself, not eating grains & sugar hasn't been difficult. The hard part for me is overeating things that are promoted on lc sites as being good for low carbers - cheese, meat, and nuts.