View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-19, 05:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

As an African American I was surprised/not at how much European heritage I had and how minuscule the Native American heritage was.

A lot of lighter skinned/straighter haired African Americans claim Native American heritage--it's a myth; a denial of the routine sexual abuse of slave women.

For years before routine DNA testing became available retail, when my cousins would trot out how they had this or that tribe's blood, I would retort to my cousins, "that's not Indian blood, that's Massa's blood.

During Genealogy research I reached out to my paternal line slave owner's family, a very prestigious slave-holding family that traces its roots to English aristocracy, as family lore had it that my many times Great grandmother was the "unofficial" co-wife of the owner, starting at age 13, and had many children by him. Before DNA testings popularity they all denied the story and refused DNA testings to confirm or refute.

Fast forward to the rise in popularity of DNA testing sites and suddenly I had countless relatives from the slave owner's line.

For me, having a distanced and inquiring bent, that truth doesn't hurt...it's just historical fact and validation of family lore.

Luckily my father is my father and my brothers and sisters are full siblings. Should I say luckily? lol.

But I think some people might receive surprises they are not prepared for or accepting of.

I was amazed at just how ethnically mixed I am. Or is that nationally mixed? Or just how widespread my heritage is. I don't think there is a state or continent, including Asia that a DNA link hasn't popped up from.