View Single Post
  #31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-14, 13:18

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I hope it continues! I agree with those who say *why* even let the in-laws see the kids so much if they totally flout your rules! Sheesh, and I speak as a grandmother here.

I have two grandkids - grandson age 5 and granddaughter age 18 months (and a third one due in March) - all the offspring of my son and DiL who live three miles from me, so I do get to see them pretty often. In fact I pick my grandson up from his pre-K program every Friday at 1:30 and keep him for the night for a "Nainai sleepover".

If anything I'm probably more strict than his parents are! They started out very strict when he was born, not LC per se, but adhering to WAPF "real food" guidelines, but have gotten looser and looser over the years. Now at home he gets things like Apple Jacks cereal for breakfast, Lunchables in his lunch box, boxed mac and cheese occasionally for dinner. In fact I have to bite my tongue over some of the things he eats! But they know my opinions about food/wheat, etc and it's not my place to continually nag them. I think they eat well MOST of the time, and in fact maybe they are closer to Mark Sisson's 80/20 guidelines with 80% of what they eat pretty decent.

I don't have wheat in my house, but I cook rice when my grandson is over as it's one of his faves. He was over after school yesterday and kept saying he was hungry - so at my house he ended up having some baby carrots, a "baby" cheese, a small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice (from oranges we went out and picked off the tree) and two bananas! Then all topped off with a glass of organic whole milk.

I tell my DiL he may be needing a new wardrobe soon, . But when he eats like that it usually means he's about to shoot up an inch or two. As Taubes puts it in "GCBC" - normal kids don't grow taller because they eat a lot; they eat a lot because they are *about* to grow! And my grandson is in the 99th percentile for height.

BUT, if my son and DiL asked me NOT to feed him certain things, or to make sure he got certain things, I would do my best to comply with their guidelines. But it can be a balancing age too. I believe in being gluten-free, and suppose their request to me was to make sure he got PLENTY OF BREAD when he came to visit me? Sounds silly, but he does eat plenty of bread at his own home. I think the parents have the final say. But from the other side of the coin it can be tough being a grandparent too when you don't agree with the parents!
Sponsored Links