#21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-20, 06:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
So the vegans should be thanking us for giving us all an opportunity to live.

Bob

I agree, but vegans don't live in a sane world.

That's why I've come to see it as a cult: not only to they use controlling methods on their followers, the followers try to use controlling methods on the rest of us.

Any worldview that, if followed, ignores reality brings only disaster.

Here's the Cult Education Institution Warning Signs by people in a cult.

Quote:
Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

That's an easy one. They make any non-vegan social occasion a nightmare of stress and guilt. And what could be more practical than health? Even as they get sicker, they refuse to believe it's their diet.

Quote:
Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.

Vegan becomes a lifestyle as they claim they don't buy or wear certain things because animal involvement. This follows no real practical considerations, they aren't consistent, but it seems to rule their life.

Quote:
Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

The rest of us are the ones who are cruel and irrational. That's why we criticize, they say. We want to keep on being cruel.

Quote:
Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.

They all seem to love the word "disgusting!" They all say the same things the same way.

Quote:
Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.

This stands out to me because their diet is not based on the latest science, their reasons are contradicted by reality, and so they flock to chefs and videos because they either have the classic vegan "potato chips and soda" or those elaborate meals full of sugar. The contrast with those of us on this forum couldn't be more stark: we work at finding out what works for us in a way vegans completely ignore until their health starts to crash. Then they try one unworkable thing after another from their "experts" while ignoring their doctors.

Thankfully, medical blind spots do not include vegan issues. They are getting good advice from professionals, and won't take it.

Quote:
Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.

Of course they want to be professional vegans as we all would like to in our own ways. Having studied them for years now, I note that those who do have some other career goal tend to have their accomplishments happen prior to their vegan conversion. Athletes in particular. Memoirs of ex-vegans relate how their hopes and dreams seemed to dwindle along with their energy as they continued on this diet. Also, the more someone tries to "do it right" the more time it seems to take.

We low carbers can look obsessed from the outside; we actually cook! We avoid bread like vampires avoid garlic! But even cooking almost all my own meals, I have much more time now that I did before. I'm not thinking about food all the time; I cook once, eat several meals; and my time between meals is much longer.

But some of those vegan dishes, which people turn to as the answer when their health fades, takes elaborate prep and assembly. And frankly, they eat more junky food than any category of person except my fellow computer coders on a deadline It's so easy to find processed food without a trace of animal product they often start out living on snack food.

And they eat all the time. In The Meat Fix, the author explains that after more than two decades of veganism, he was used to eating giant quantities of food to get the protein he needed from such poor sources.

Quote:
A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.
Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.
Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.
Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.

Grouping the last few because this is long enough already, but I've seen how a person's circle shrinks as concerned friends question their choices. We low carbers get a lot of this at first, even though it does die down as results become evident But vegans get worse, not better, as they stick with it.

That's when "but all my friends are vegan too!" comes into play. I'm the most hardcore person I know; my hair stylist is the only keto person I know IRL besides DH. And I've never not been friends with anyone; one of my besties took the conventional path and while I worry about her all the time, we recognize and honor each other's choices.

Vegans don't. They can't. That's why I call them a cult.