View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-19, 11:46

Plan: Keto
Stats: 650/470/240 Male 6'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

For me, chaffles are a game-changer. They're great savory. Or sweet. And work well as bread or a bun. The basic recipe is 1 egg and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, which would make two chaffles.

Check out the technique in this video

The Serious Keto YouTube channel has many videos with chaffle variations

My Chaffle Tools

To make my chaffles consistently, I put the mini-waffle maker on my kitchen scale and then do:

* 10 grams of shredded cheese
* 25 grams of beaten egg (or batter)
* 10 grams of shredded cheese

The cheese on the top and the bottom helps to keep the chaffles firm and crispy. And no overflow of contents making a mess because I eyeballed the amount of filling incorrectly. Oh, and don't stack the chaffles if you make a number of them. It keeps the heat within them and makes them soft. I see some videos where they put them individually on a cooling rack. That helps the cheese crisp up as the chaffle cools.

The fun thing is watching the weight go down as the chaffle cooks, as water leaves as steam. When it hits 40 grams of weight, I know the chaffle is done.

I bought this shaker bottle, so I can do a lot of eggs (or batter) at once, to store in the fridge so it's ready to go. With my method of creating the chaffles, it's much easier to dispense 25 grams of egg/batter out of that shaker cup.

I've tried a number of different recipes, but I keep coming back to the basic recipe above. It's savory if I spread some Jalapeno cream cheese on it. Or sweet if I top it with SF maple syrup. I tried making some churro chaffles at one point, making a special batter, but I didn't care for them. It turned out much better to just do the basic recipe and then cut into strips and toss into a Ziploc bag of granulated sweetener and cinnamon. MUCH better.

I typically use an Italian blend shredded cheese. But if I'm doing savory, I might go for a sharp cheddar.

I haven't tried it yet, but the latest version is a "Wonder Bread" chaffle:

https://www.copymethat.com/r/xHZoi0...-bread-revision

I even saw a recipe with a sourdough flavoring added.