View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 13:20

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Dr Atkins did much good in this world, for which he was and still is often vilified. Dr Westman, along with others, continues this beneficial work. As this new year begins I am grateful for the efforts of both these doctors and other brave professionals who continue to promote this healthy way of living despite all the criticism. We can witness the results of their activity here on the forum. For me it is not for the sake of some beauty ideal but for the sake of being able to lead a healthy and productive life rather than one ruled by pain and sickness.

I am forever indebted to Dr. Atkins for his persistence in promoting low-carbohydrate as a healthy approach to weight management in spite of actual persecution. In my paperback edition of the 1972 Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, there is a reprint of Dr. Atkins's testimony before a congressional "select committee on nutrition" appointed to hold him accountable for promoting a diet that his critics in the medical profession insisted was the work of a charlatan, a quack, and a danger to society.

At the same time, federal nutrition authorities were promoting the use of hydrogenated vegetable oils that turned out to be truly deadly.

Dr. Atkins never claimed to have "invented" the low-carb diet. The fact that he got famous and rich promoting his personal and clinical experience was a credit to his professional integrity--not to mention his considerable chutzpah. Dr. Westman has taken the Atkins approach to the next level of scientific and clinical investigation in his own way, like many other physicians and clinicians throughout the world.

You don't have to buy anything but groceries to find a low-carb plan and use it.