#8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-17, 18:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Rob - About the only thing I can think of where this product might be beneficial is for a fat adapted athlete in an endurance event. I don't know at what rate the body can generate ketones from fat. On a super lean and fit athlete would ketone production keep up with the energy needs during competition? Perhaps this product could provide a boost. One might consider it cheating, though.

I had thought about how ready-to-burn ketone supplements might affect fat storage from food. I considered keytones like alcohol. They would have to burn first. I didn't consider the effect on insulin, though. It sounds like this supplement might be a very bad idea for someone who is insulin resistant. The fat guy might get a boost of energy while the ketone supplements last, but they would more than likely crash and burn when they use up the ketones and cannot access their own body fat due to high insulin levels. This supplement could be disastrous for a T2 diabetic not following a VLC diet. Perhaps that is where the reviewer was going with that point you highlighted.

On the first paragraph, Ken, I have read about Phinney and Volek's experiences with ultra-marathoners who run many hours. Those that are fat adapted don't seem to hit the wall and don't need to refuel (eat carbs) periodically like the glucose-fueled athletes. However, some of the fat-fueled athletes do take small amounts of carbs at certain points during the races. Many fat-fueled runners remark about how they never have to worry about hitting the wall. Exogenous ketones may help, but I haven't seen any detailed reports of athletes' experiences with these supplements. I'm not sure how they would supplement a body's own fat stores that are available to those who are fat adapted other than providing an alternate source of ketones. Ketone supplements seem to be hot with body builders. Your line of thinking here is a good one. Wouldn't the exogenous ketones be consumed instead or first or something else?

On the second paragraph, that's a very good point regarding insulin resistance regardless of the current metabolic state. I believe you and I have come to the same conclusion in that further testing is required before we really know what these ketone supplements do. I have a particular interest, as a week before the Winchester Health Revolution, my brother called and was raving about his new supplement, exogenous ketones. He has been low carb for many years and is now using Zenwise Keto-Lift BHB and recommended I give it a try. My response was that I'd prefer to do it naturally until I have actual RCTs that can confirm the influences of these supplements.

Also, price is an issue as these supplements are costly! I take a few dietary supplements that I can't always get through dietary choices like magnesium and Vitamin K2. But I can get ketones for free by going very low carb. I'm sure over the next few years we'll learn quite a bit about these, but right now, the marketing machine is in full swing. I was also interested to learn that Dr. Dom D'Agostino consults with the Pruvit board. I've found D'Agostino to be an expert about ketosis in general and very forthcoming.