View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 09:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

What is alarming is that the studies (initial 5-year and subsequent 15-year) are based on the assumption that anyone with LDL-C above 190 mg/dL is at risk. And over time, the level of LDL-C considered dangerous is being lowered. More and more we're learning that LDL-C is not a valid health marker for CHD. Just as we've learned that total cholesterol is no longer a valid health marker. So, you generate data based on a questionable health marker from studies funded by the very pharmaceutical companies who have a vested interest in an outcome for promoting statins. Sorry for stating the obvious, but we live in a crazy world when no one is willing to challenge these findings, other than those of us who have interest in reading and researching this stuff. And the physicians who can prescribe these medications fall in line and continue to do so based on relative risk data. Unbelievable, but true.

Yesterday, I was again in the car listening to Doctor Radio on XM (yes, I am a glutton for punishment), and I heard a cardiologist describing the dangers of high blood pressure and how it causes stroke, heart disease, and other bad health situations, and all I could do is wonder, well, what causes high blood pressure, and isn't it simply another symptom correlated with stroke, heart disease, and other bad health situations? We no longer seek to find the root cause that could be the reason for a variety of symptoms. Again, I'm stating the obvious, but we've lost our ability to think about how all these symptoms being much more frequent and common since the late 1970s came to be. What has changed since then? I believe a few of us know or at least have a reasonable hypothesis.