View Single Post
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 17:20

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dialed it back a bit in October as we had the competition in Lake Tahoe at month’s end. I told Trainer Dan he wasn’t allowed to kill my legs and in fact had to give him a bit of what’s what after one workout. I needed all my leg strength to do program run through.

4508 MEPs
2067 Mins
65% Effort
12483 Calories
122 Avg Heart Rate

My Meps were down roughly 40% from Aug & Sept (7500 range). I wanted to keep my legs fresh for skating and to build up some endurance for my 2 minute program. Being able to jump, Spin, and skate full out for those two minutes. Not to mention a 6000’ elevation change. I was focused on creating conditions for what we call a double run through- skating the program back to back or heavy cardio for 4 minutes straight. I also wanted to create quality on ice time without any gym soreness.

Then there were a few missed days due to traveling. October 1st I drove back down from the North Shore - highlight was a 4 mile hike on Isle Royale the day before. Second I left early for the competition not only to adjust to the altitude but also to see a very dear childhood friend that I had not seen in 19 years. I found myself with an unexpected free day and discovered that Yosemite NP was only 3 hours away. It was 6 hours of driving for 4 hours in the park, but totally worth it to me. I did also manage to get in a 2 mile hike in.

Results of the competition:
First place: Jump & Spin w/C - Teams of 2 compete in this event. One completes her choice of jumps twice (You pick one of the two required jumps). The other does the same with the Spin. I was the spinner of our team. I was technically skating up a level. I picked the Sit Spin. I have good speed, centering, revolutions, but my butt is a bit high so I was nervous about that. The ice was harder and faster than our home rink. My spins were not as good as at home but good enough for the win.

First place: Free skate - this is where the jumps and spins come in. This is the same program I won with at ISI Worlds in 2016. So I knew it well. My music is the theme from the Cider House Rules. It is a very pretty song so I wanted a pretty skate. I got that so I was very pleased...even more delighted to place first.

Second place: Ensemble- this an entertainment/creative piece that do with the ladies. The team that got first deserved their win - they were younger college age skaters who had their choreography down. Amazing performance. So second seemed like first....especially since all the other teams were our age. We do a Bollywood inspired number and use colorful scarves throughout. It looks really awesome & colorful on the ice.

All in all it was a successful competition and a wonderful trip with friends.