View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 23:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/zone
Stats: 200/165/160
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Essential Fats for the Brain. Is that were the term "fathead"came from?

Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils are called "essential" fatty acids. They are considered "essential" because they are structural fats, important to life and we cannot make them ourselves. So we must get both from food. I am told that most people get enough Omega 6, but other experts tell me that the Omega 6 we get is often not of very high quality. Still the one we don't get a lot of is probably the first one to make sure we add to our diet and that is Omega 3.

I ran a search on Google using the string "brain omega 3" and got a number of interesting responses. I quote this one from:

http://www.alaskaseafood.org/flavor/omega.htm

Fetal and Child Development benefits of Omega 3

"It has been demonstrated that getting enough omega 3 fatty acids very early in life is critical. An omega 3 derivative called docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) actually helps build the brain, becoming rapidly incorporated into both the cerebral cortex and the retina three months before and three months after birth, and more slowly but no less significantly up until the age of two, when brain development is complete. ...Eating more fatty fish, such as salmon, is the most efficient way to build your store of omega-3s."

"Essential Fatty Assets," by Elizabeth Hiser, published in "Eating Well"

"Our results indicate that n-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids should be considered provisionally essential for infant nutrition. DHA [docosahexaenoic acid] may also be required by individuals with inherited metabolic defects in elongation and desaturation activity, such as patients with peroxisomal disorders and some forms of retinitis pigmentosa. ...The mother's diet before pregnancy plays an important role in determining maternal EFA 'essential fatty acid' status. ...Major EFA deposition in the human fetus occurs during the third trimester. ...it has become generally accepted that n-6 as well as n-3 fatty acids play a key role in perinatal nutrition, especially for the developing central nervous system."

"Role of Essential Fatty Acids in the Function of the Developing Nervous System," by Ricardo Uauy, Patricio Peirano, Dennis Hoffman, et al, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile and Retina Foundation of the Southwest, Dallas, Texas published in Lipids, Vol. 31 Supplement (1996)

I strongly recommend the other quotes on the page link provided above. Also some of the other results from the google search are worth exploring if this subject is of interest to you.

Ferrando.

PS when I was doing a research project for a client I read a quote from Mary Enig where I think she suggested that Coconut oil (you know the so called evil tropical oil) might one day be considered "essential" as well. She was referring to the powerful anti viral and anti bacterial benefits that oil provides.