Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: varies - experimenting...
Stats: 248/194/185 Male 6 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 51
I'll have to try taking a packet of oatmeal with me.
I was half awake/half asleep last night dreaming of this mornings ride, and I think I may have the LC replacement for GU.
Packets of mayonnaise. Small, easy to pack and consume. Now the question is will my body accept mayo during exercise and will it help.
Guess I will have to experiment. This is either going to be a great idea or the worst idea I have ever had.
Anybody want to place a bet?

I haven't found unflavored instant oatmeal in little packets. I would skip the heavily sugared and artificially flavored ones (e.g. maple syrup etc.) in favor of the plain. I just pour a little of the plain oatmeal into a sandwich or ziploc bag and put in pocket. The instant oatmeal is already preprocessed so it's easy to chew as opposed to rawer steel-cut oatmeal.
The mayo packets are interesting idea. I just haven't found success mixing eating extra fat on days I exercise. My stomach doesn't like it.

It's probably anathema on this board, but I do best on a low-fat diet on the days with lots of hard exercise. On the days I'm recovering from muscle soreness, I go back to strict low carb.

This maybe bad advice to the person though who still has a lot of fat to lose like Rick51. It took me over a year to lose a bulk of my excess bodyfat, and during that time I was strictly low carb with almost no exercise, and that's when I really lost the bodyfat - at the expense of losing much of the muscle and fitness as well.
For Rick51, who is at 50%, of his bodyfat loss goal, it may be smart to accept diminished cycling performance and 'bonking' in order to lose the excess bodyfat more quickly?
It's really been a struggle for me to find good balance between losing bodyfat and gaining muscle mass and improving exercise performance.