View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 14:21

Plan: atkins..paleo later
Stats: 182/173/154 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Help, or advice please, long term low carber but....

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out, I am utterly confused.
I started low carbing maybe 6 years ago or so, Atkins, then progressed to paleo as a maintenance woe.
I lost my way over the last year, a bit, and gained 2 stone (28pounds) , but got back to low carb since new year. I've only lost about 14 pounds so far. I am eating basically Atkins, aiming for 20g carbs max a day, admittedly going to 30 max now & again. Ratios are generally right. Eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese, green veg, salad (not even tomatoes) pork rinds, almond crackers that I make. Flavourings... Herbs dry spices, olive & coconut oils, black coffee, water, almond milk, diet tonic at night.
BUT.........
I had a blood screen last week, and have been asked to go and see the diabetic nurse, as I am "potentially prediabetic". I can't understand it. I don't know my exact reading yet, they wouldn't tell me by phone.
I am 5ft 7inch, currently weigh 168lb, (12 stone) I am active all day as I care for my elderly ill mum 24/6...often through the night too, though that does mean I don't get out to exercise as such... I try to grab a half hour walk most days but that's all, whilst I used to get lots more exercise before I started caring.
I take thyroxine, antihistamines for asthma, a steroid inhaler and salbutamol, and magnesium. I am 55, female. Mum is diabetic, though I got her bloods down enough to come off metformin, and she is diet controlled, yet she can eat cake, biscuits, chocolate, puddings, potatoes, you name it. Likewise my sister who is approx 21 stone (294lb) eats pizza, cake and all sorts but is fine.
I think I average about 1500 calories a day, sometimes more, sometimes less.
So, I'm baffled, upset, a little scared, and expecting to be told to eat wholegrain, pasta, lots of fruit & veg, etc etc.
I would like to go to the appointment armed with some knowledge and not have to roll over & go on a low sugar & fat carby diet.
Any help, information or thoughts would be much appreciated please.
Sponsored Links