View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 05:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Over two and a half years ago, I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. It was causing some real problems for me including atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, and lack of energy and mental alertness. The doctor's response was to put me on a CPAP, which was the last thing I wanted. My question to him was, "Can anyone eliminate sleep apnea by lifestyle changes?" He indicated that losing weight and regular exercise can help. So, we agreed that I'd give that a shot and come back in 6 months. My thinking after the doctor visit was that since I hadn't had sleep apnea for most of my life, what had changed or what was I doing that caused it to happen? I realized at the time, that for me, the weight loss was paramount. I immediately went very low carb, eliminated all grains, potatoes, and starch and in 6 months, lost 40 pounds. While I did exercise, it was the dietary modifications that made this happen. When I went back to the doctor after 6 months, I no longer had sleep apnea, had normal blood pressure, and no more afib. I believe the doctor expected to be putting me on the CPAP device that day, but the approach I took prevented that from happening. Since that time, I've made LCHF a way of life.

I can't help with the RLS, but I'm convinced that all the symptoms I had from the sleep apnea, the HBP, the afib, the fatigue, the bouts of hypoglycemia, and several others were all part of the Metabolic Syndrome I had developed over time. My guess is that RLS is one of those related symptoms. Today, I'm very active with workouts 4-5 times a week, but I'm doing regular resistance training, walking, hiking, and I'm not doing any chronic cardio or living in an OCD fitness world. I do take chelated magnesium supplements twice a day along with K2, and D3, and my muscle cramping disappeared when I started the magnesium. Hope this helps, it appears you're on a path to a good weight, which was the key for me in getting rid of the apnea. Good luck!