#19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 11:11

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2brickie
Yes they used the OOO for dandruff but this isnt dandruff the dermatoligist said. We thought thats what it was and tried the OOO in the shampoo and she said it made it itch worse. Now I dont know about that because I take the stuff everyday and havent noticed any itching anywhere but she is 10. I just want to get it taken care of for her before she gets to that teenage thing you know. The doctor did say that its a form of cradle cap. Neither of my kids had cradle cap when they were babies so I dont know. I had her skip the shampoo this morning so we will see how that goes. The shampoo has zinc in it, and Im worried that is drying her head too, maybe making it itch. I was wondering if I should have her only use that shampoo like twice a week and a moisturizing shampoo the other times. Tell me what you think and I will keep you all posted on how she does. She has beautiful hair so I would hate to have to cut it or something as she has dreams of being a rodeo queen.

I agree....this is NOT dandruff. I don't know which prescription shampoo your dermatologist gave your daughter but even the over-the-counter Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo's directions state "Twice a week or as directed by your doctor", so yeah, maybe that will help to reduce the itching. Oh, and FYI - she doesn't have to "rinse and repeat" cuz that will just dry her scalp even more - just MHO.

I do have access to info on prescription medications, so I looked up a couple of prescription shampoos - "mild skin/scalp irritation, pruritus (itching), and scalp oilness OR dryness may occur." But I think the key here is to help keep her from scratching - not an easy thing to do, I know - OH, HOW I KNOW!

Again, I have to state - so I don't get kicked off here for trying to give medical advice to anyone - I'm no expert....the coconut oil worked for me and if it could help someone else...great! If not...then go back to the dermatologist. But don't give up!

Oh, and gosh no! You shouldn't have to cut her hair because of this....a rodeo queen, huh?!